Adi is seeking a managing editor to join our core team. The ideal candidate will have experience editing literary nonfiction for a magazine or journal, a deep interest in global politics and Adi’s mission, strong organizational skills, and the flair and energy to help build our audience through social media, outreach, and public engagement.
The position will begin at roughly 20 hours per month / 5 hours per week at a rate of $30.00 per hour, though hours are subject to modification depending upon the needs of the role. Location is flexible; our team is based in New York and London.
Adi is a quarterly online literary journal focused on rehumanizing policy. So often, there is a vast gulf between the people most affected by policies and those making the decisions, leading to dangerous misunderstandings and flawed interventions. As a magazine and political project, Adi seeks to platform the ideas and conversations often marginalized from mainstream Western debates on policy, creating a space for nuanced explorations of global affairs and insisting that policy reflects lived experiences.
Named after Tamil word with three meanings—protest, intervention, and violence—the magazine tends toward creative and experimental approaches to policy questions. Our first issue looked at borders and American exceptionalism, our second featured dispatches on freedom from each country on the US government’s travel ban list, our third focused on state violence in South Asia, our fourth considered Kashmir’s struggle for self-determination, and our most recent issue is a collection of poems framed as policy recommendations.
MANAGING EDITOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Working with the editor-in-chief to develop issue ideas and research contributors; reading submissions; occasionally leading editorial process on individual pieces
- Maintaining editorial calendar, participating in weekly editorial meetings
- Assisting with aspects of the magazine’s production cycle, including coordinating with fact-checkers and illustrators, and uploading content to website
- Drafting bi-weekly newsletter
- Creating material for Adi’s social media feeds
- Building the audience for the magazine through targeted outreach, publicity, public engagement (conferences, book fairs, awards), and special events
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter outlining your interest and relevant experience to email@example.com, subject line MANAGING EDITOR. Applications will be accepted until January 3rd, 2021; shortlisted candidates will be contacted soon after.